I've had this lens now for about 5 months and have played with it a decent bit.
If I had it to do again I would buy it again for exactly the same reasons I purchased it to begin with. Nikon has provided a solid, inexpensive 200-500 zoom lens that will provide quality images. I purchased it because I needed the range of zoom offered by the lens, partly due to time spent in Africa (and my returning there) causing me to have TOO MUCH LENS. I used a 300mm and 500mm on my last trip, the 500mm rarely came out and was mostly only for birds, the 300mm proved to be just too much lens for a wide selection of wildlife from Elephants to Painted Dogs, this was with shooting full framed D800 bodies.
I actually sold my Nikon 500mm f4 prior to buying the 200-500.
However, let me mention parts that I do not like, bear in mind that my opinion is colored by use of professional grade primes
1) the auto focus is slow
2) it isn't as sharp as a lens should be, I find myself deleting more images on average than I do with other lenses.
3) the zoom ring should be faster
4) the body of the lens feels cheap
5) the collar doesn't like to stay tight and I'm having to crank it down on a fairly regular basis.
6) no weather proofing.
7) NO attachment point for a strap, this makes it so one has to hand carry it or stuff it into a bag.
So there you have it, my views of this lens.
Reviews and Discussions of Photo Gear
1 post • Page 1 of 1